When cold weather starts forcing you to be inside more, take advantage of this time to declutter your home. True decluttering isn't just better organization; it's also getting rid of all the excess stuff we accumulate over time. It's especially important to declutter if you're thinking about listing your home with one of our REALTORS®. However, decluttering can be a big job, so here are a few tips to help guide you through the process.
- Have a plan. Decluttering your home takes more work and time than you might think, and without a road map of sorts, you're bound to get lost at some point during the process. Your plan can be as simple as tackling a new room each weekend or as detailed as breaking it down by closet, but the important thing is that a plan will help you get the job done.
- Start with the easy stuff. We won't lie. Decluttering is HARD. Getting rid of possessions can get really difficult, even when it's something you don't need (and may not even really want, if you're honest with yourself). Make it easier on yourself by starting with the obvious things. Go around the house and pick up all the random items that you've wondered, "Why do I even have that?" Pick off the things in your closet that you haven't worn in ages or that don't fit you anyway.
- Revisit later. As you get warmed up to this decluttering thing, it's time to go back through and do a more thorough purge. Getting rid of the easy stuff in the first round gave you a taste for how good it feels to lighten the load a little, and now you can get a little more serious. Get rid of anything you don't feel strongly about keeping, especially anything that is easily replaced should you change your mind. If you're planning to put your house on the market, remember that you'll need to put much of your possessions in storage to achieve that staged look, and consider what's worth paying to store (and later move!).
- Don't burn yourself out. Decluttering can be exhausting. It feels good to get rid of things for a while, but if you're not careful, you'll get overwhelmed, and then you start finding it harder to make decisions. If you catch yourself thinking, "I'll just keep this for now and decide later," that's a pretty good indication that you're getting burnt out. Take a break and go back to it another time when you have a fresher outlook.
- Organize what's left. Once you've pared down your belongings and gotten rid of all the excess, it's time for the really fun part: organizing! A good organizational system will help prevent the clutter from coming back. If you're selling the home, it'll enable you to keep everything tidier and ready to show, plus any upgrades to closets and cupboards can be a selling point. The best Mansfield homes for sale feature modern storage options, which are popular among prospective buyers.
Cooler weather and shorter days may keep you inside more, but winter doesn't have to be wasted time. This is your chance to focus on indoor projects like decluttering! Once warm weather arrives, you'll want to be outside enjoying it, and if you're planning to sell, that'll be a perfect time to list. Contact us today, and we'll help you get started in the process.